You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘margins’ tag.
Oppression and marginalization really aren’t funny but… I couldn’t help but laugh:
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE PRIVILEGE! Just follow this step-by-step guide to Conversing with Marginalised People™ and in no time at all you will have a fool-proof method of derailing every challenging conversation you may get into, thus reaping the full benefits of every privilege that you have.
The best part is, you don’t even have to be a white, heterosexual, cisgendered, cissexual, upper-class male to enjoy the full benefits of derailing conversation! Nope, you can utilise the lesser-recognised tactic of Horizontal Hostility to make sure that, despite being a member of a Marginalised Group™ yourself, you can exercise a privilege another Marginalised Group™ doesn’t have in order not to heed their experience!
Read on, and learn, and remember… you don’t have to use these in any particular order! In fact, mixing them up can really keep those Marginalised People™ on their toes! After all, they are pretty much used to hearing this stuff, so you don’t want to get too predictable or they’ll get lazy!
Some of the common responses to thinking critically about marginalization are:
- You’re Being Hostile
- But That Happens To Me Too!
- You’re Being Overemotional
- You’re Taking Things Too Personally
- You’re Not Being Intellectual Enough/You’re Being Overly Intellectual
- Your Experience Is Not Representative Of Everyone
- I Don’t Think You’re As Marginalised As You Claim
- Well I Know Another Person From Your Group Who Disagrees!
- You Are Damaging Your Cause By Being Angry
Read how the author breaks down the above so that one can continue to Other people @ Derailing for Dummies
*Please keep in mind this is tongue-in-cheek.