LIS 7210 Library Materials for Children
Instructor Dr. Sarah Park Dahlen
St. Catherine University
Master of Library and Information Science Program
Selection, evaluation and use of media for children in elementary schools and public libraries. Materials in curricular areas are studied along with an examination of the relationships of materials to developmental characteristics and individual differences of the child, to curriculum and recreation, to the exceptional child and to a multicultural society. 3 cr.
Reading/Viewing List (as of May 2, 2016)
- Alexander, Kwame. Booked
- Atinuke. Illustrated by Lauren Tobia. Anna Hibiscus.
- Bascomb, Neal. Nazi Hunters
- Bell, CeCe (written and illustrated). El Deafo
- Bradley, Kimberly Brubaker. The War That Saved My Life (print or audio)
- Carroll, Lewis. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (any edition, version, etc).
- Coy, John. Photographs by Wing Young Huie. Their Great Gift
- de la Peña, Matt. Illustrated by Christian Robinson. Last Stop on Market Street
- Diggs, Taye. Illustrated by Shane Evans. Mixed Me!
- Dr. Seuss (written and illustrated). Horton Hears a Who
- Draper, Sharon. Out of My Mind
- Edwards, Sue Bradford and Duchess Harris. Black Lives Matter (Special Reports)
- Elliott, Zetta. Illustrated by Charity Russell. Let the Faithful Come
- Engle, Margarita. Illustrated by Edel Rodriguez. Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir
- Erdrich, Louise (written and illustrated). The Birchbark House
- Frozen (the movie)
- Harris, Robie. Illustrated by Michael Emberly. It’s Perfectly Normal: A Book About Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health
- Gino, Alex. George
- Jung, Mike. Unidentified Suburban Object
- Kent, Rose. Kimchi & Calamari
- Kibuishi, Kazu (written and illustrated) Amulet: The Stonekeeper
- Levy, Dana Alison. The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher
- Lin, Grace. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
- Lindgren, Astrid. Pippi Longstocking (any edition, version, etc.)
- Lovelace, Maud Hart. Illustrated by Lois Lenski. Betsy-Tacy (book 1)
- Milton, Stephanie, Paul Soares Jr., and Jordan Maron. Minecraft: Essential Handbook
- Morales, Yuyi (written and illustrated). Just a Minute: A Trickster Tale and Counting Book
- Oppenheim, Joanne. Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
- Rowling, J.K. Illustrated by Mary GrandPré. Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone
- Sendak, Maurice (written and illustrated). Where the Wild Things Are
- Smith, Cynthia Leitich. Illustrated by Cornelius Van Wright and Ying-Hwa Hu. Jingle Dancer
- Sweet, Melissa (written and illustrated). Balloons Over Broadway
- Tate, Don (written and illustrated). Poet: The Remarkable Story of George Moses Horton
- Telgemeier, Raina (written and illustrated). Smile
- Tingle, Tim. How I Became a Ghost
- Tonatiuh, Duncan (written and illustrated). Funny Bones: Posada and His Day of the Dead Calaveras
- White, E.B. Illustrated by Garth Williams Charlotte’s Web
- Willems, Mo. Any picture book
- Williams-Garcia, Rita. One Crazy Summer
- Woodson, Jacqueline. Brown Girl Dreaming
- Yang, Gene Luen and Mike Holmes. Secret Coders books 1 and 2 Paths and Portals
- Yee, Lisa. Wonder Woman at Super Hero High
- Yoo, Paula. Illustrated by Shirley Ng-Benitez. Lily’s New Home
- Any American Girl book
- Any book from this list: http://www.advocate.com/books/2016/1/29/21-lgbt-picture-books-every-kid-should-read
- Any movie from this list: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/lists/50-movies-all-kids-should-watch-before-theyre-12
- Bang, Molly. (2000). Picture This! How Pictures Work. Chronicle Books.
- Horning, Kathleen T. (2010). From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children’s Books. HarperCollins.
Readings and Assignments for the First Two Weeks of Class
Week 1 ~ Sept 13 ~ Introduction & Publishing
Guest speaker: We will meet at 6:00 pm in CdC 17 for class and then attend the Zetta Elliott panel “Inclusivity and Indie Authors: The Case for Community-Based Publishing” at 7:00 pm. Location TBD.
- ALSC Education Committee. (2015). Competencies for Librarians Serving Children in Public Libraries.
- From Cover to Cover. Introduction and Chapter 1 “A Critical Approach to Children’s Books”
- Elliott, Zetta. (2009 September 5). Something Like an Open Letter to the Children’s Publishing Industry. Zetta Elliott Blog.
- Atkins, Laura. (2010). White Privilege and Children’s Publishing: A Web 2.0 Case Study. Write4Children 1(2). Winchester University Press.
- Elliott, Zetta. (2011 May 25). “Breaking Down Doors: My Self Publishing Story.” Huffington Post.
- Low, Jason. (2016 January 26). “Where is the Diversity in Publishing? The 2015 Diversity Baseline Survey Results.”
- Elliott, Zetta. (2016 February 1). “How It Feels to be Self Published Me.” Publishers Weekly.
- Elliott. (2016 April 5). “What’s LOVE Got To Do With It? Self-Publishing as a Black Feminist Act of Radical Self-Care.” Huffington Post Books.
- Elliott, Zetta. Let the Faithful Come.
- Any other book(s) by Zetta Elliott – read and bring to class.
- White, E.B. Charlotte’s Web
– Garth Williams in the Kerlan Collection: http://special.lib.umn.edu/findaid/xml/CLRC-1656.xml
D2L Discussion board – Introduce yourself to the class by Monday, September 12. Share 1) what your interest is in taking the class, 2) what you hope to get out of it. Refer to the ALSC competencies, when necessary.
Week 2 ~ Sept 20 ~ Publishing & Classics
- From Cover to Cover. Chapter 3 “Traditional Literature” and chapter 5 “Picture Books”
- Bang, Molly. Picture This! How Pictures Work (all)
- Nodelman, Perry. (1992). The Other: Orientalism, Colonialism, and Children’s Literature. Children’s Literature Association Quarterly 17, 29-35.
- Carroll, Lewis. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Lindgren, Astrid. Pippi Longstocking
- Sweet, Melissa. Balloons Over Broadway
– UMN CLRC online exhibit: http://gallery.lib.umn.edu/exhibits/show/balloons-over-broadway
- Sendak, Maurice. Where the Wild Things Are
– Maurice Sendak in the Kerlan Collection: http://special.lib.umn.edu/findaid/xml/CLRC-69.xml