Hello readers! The beginning of the year was chaotic so I didn’t have a chance to post my IS 491 Asian American Youth Literature reading list, but here is my IS 413 Teen Materials reading list.
By our first meeting on March 21, students will be required to read the first in a series (such as the Binti series, The Hunger Games trilogy, Uglies, etc.) and one of the following books:
- Daly, Maureen. Seventeenth Summer
- Cormier, Robert. The Chocolate War
- Salinger, J.D. The Catcher in the Rye
- Blume, Judy. Forever
For weeks 2-7, the readings are:
- Acevedo, Elizabeth. The Poet X
- Ali, S.K. Saints and Misfits
- Dimaline, Cherie. The Marrow Thieves
- Elhillo, Safia. Home is Not a Country
- Lewis, John and Andrew Aydin. Illustrated by Nate Powell. March Book One
- Lo, Malinda. Last Night at the Telegraph Club
- Oshiro, Mark. Anger is a Gift
- Pérez, Ashley Hope. Out of Darkness
- Spiegelman, Art. Maus 1: A Survivor’s Tale: My Father Bleeds History
- Taylor, Whit. Ghost Stories
- Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give
- Treuer, Anton. Everything You Wanted to Know about Indians But Were Afraid to Ask: Young Readers Edition
- Zoboi, Ibi. Pride: A Pride and Prejudice Remix
For the above books, to the extent that it is possible and accessible, read at least one as an eBook and listen to one on audio.
Throughout the semester, students will also be required to explore apps, films, podcasts, comics, zines, and other materials.
Happy reading and see you soon 🙂